Tuesday, March 30, 2010

KENDA CUP WEST SERIES - FONTANA CITY NATIONAL PRO XCT

The third installment of the Kenda Cup West Series took place this past weekend in Fontana, CA.  I was the only member of the team to race in the XC event, since the others had just returned from a week of surfing and relaxing on the beach in Nicaragua.  The rest of us had to maintain life as we knew it, working and playing a little on the side.  Here are the results for Cat 1 and Super D.


The Thursday before the race I finally got my crash replacement Superfly.  Did I mention that it is the 2010 model.  I was secretly hoping, but didn't want to have my hopes smashed!  Even if I could have built it up I wouldn't have raced on that bike, since I hope to get some time to learn how to ride it this go round!  Instead I raced my Turner Sultan.  I love the bike, but I don't enjoy racing it.  It's not a weight problem (at least not the bikes), nor is it a problem with the bike itself.  It's a combination of the rear shock (was "pushed" and doesn't have a good lockout anymore) and my incessant whining.  I love riding the bike, but standing up to pedal isn't the most efficient.  A trait I'd prefer not to have in my race bike.  I did manage to pull off a second place, and third/fourth weren't far behind.


Justin did manage to make it out for the Super D event later on Sunday.  He pulled a 1st in his category and was the second fastest non-pro for the weekend.  He probably would have been the fastest (non-pro), but he thought that Super D meant he needed a modest downhill bike.  At the starting line he saw the pros (and other competitors) lining up with their 20 lb carbon hardtails while he was on his 30 lb Turner 5-Spot instead of his Flux.  With Justin's skills on a bike he probably should have just gone over to the downhill course and raced that on his 5-Spot.  Either way, you get the picture, he's a beast no matter what bike he's on!
Here are the Pros for the Super D. It is inspiring to be lined up with these guys! These guys are the face of Mountain biking! 1st: Carl Decker. 2nd: Manny Prado. 3rd: Todd Wells. 4th: Tim Allen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment